Thursday, September 20, 2007

2 Corinthians 1:3,4,7

2 Corinthians 1:3,4,7 ~ Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. And our hope for you is steadfast, because we know that as you are partakers of the sufferings, so also you will partake of the consolation.

There has been a favorite song of mine for the last few weeks and its been stuck in my head.
I was looking for bible references that might have been used in the writing of it. Since I would rather have bible verses stuck in my head than lyrics.... and I found these. Well I found the first 2 and threw the 3rd one in because there was a conversation I had recently and they were trying to remember that verse, at least it sounds like the one they were trying to quote. (you know who you are :) was this it?

He is God the Father. He gives us mercy and comfort. That's His example to us, and its also a calling to us, to do for others. That we will let Him use us and the experiences that he has given us to give mercy and comfort to others. Sometimes that's easy, we have been there and done that and have the experience to help. But what about when we don't, then what?
First I want to define
tribulation. Noun:
1. Great affliction, trial, or distress; suffering
2. An experience that tests one's endurance, patience, or faith.


but.... it doesn't just say to comfort others in tribulation... it says "in any trouble".... So that means not only tribulations that come from outside sources but from those that come from self inflicted sins. Note then: My focus for today is more on the tribulations caused by sins.

I want to define mercy and comfort as well:
Mercy - Noun: as in "thing" you do
1. Compassionate treatment, especially of those under one's
power; clemency.

2. A disposition to be kind and forgiving: a heart full of
mercy.

3. Something for which to be thankful; a
blessing.

4. Alleviation of distress; relief: Taking in the refugees was
an act of mercy.


Comfort- Verb: as in "action" you take.
1. To soothe in time of affliction or distress.
2. To ease physically; relieve


Now I think we need to be careful when the situation that caused "the trouble" involves sin. I see a few fine lines here that we don't want to cross over on both sides of it.
We don't want to comfort the sinner to the point that they are willing/able to ignore the cause of "the trouble"... which is the sin. As well as the other side of it being, not showing mercy and causing "the trouble" to be even more aggravated then it was to start with.

As a mom of 5 little kids, I know that my life feels as though I run from fire to fire trying to put out issues and troubles all day long. I know that my kids feel more loved and see that God is in control of me when I make sure that I am calm in the situations that I am taking care of. As apposed to when I am trying to do it in my own sleep-deprived, over-worked, just-want-a-minute-to-myself mode. I mention that because that's what makes the difference.

Comfort and mercy come from God, and its only when we are focused on Him that we have the ability to show that to others. Its also when we are focused on Him that in our own times of tribulation that we can see Him making those available to us.
So that's where that last verse comes in. When we show mercy and comfort to others it allows us to be able to "partake" of their situation in a way that allows us to show them how to focus on God. As well as the ability to "partake" of the joy that comes with that.

There is this verse that has been on my mind the entire time I have been writing this and I though it was a good note to end on. I need to keep it in mind as I serve my husband, kids and others.

1 Corinthians 12:20-26
But now indeed there are many members, yet one body. And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; and our unpresentable parts have greater modesty, but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another. And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; or if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it.

OK this got way longer than I planned. But I think that we need to remember that we are here because of Gods mercy and grace and make sure that is the way that we treat others.

Thank you Lord for being so good to us and allowing us to be used for your Glory!

No comments: