Thursday, September 13, 2007

1 Peter 3:8-9 - Love one another

1 Peter 3:8-9
Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing.


The bible is filled with verses that tell us to love each other as God loves us. Which is a wonderful thing. But as far as practical application, it leaves me with the question as to how to do that.
In this verse is says to "love as brothers". I am lucky enough to not only to have a brother but 2 sisters +2 sister-in-laws as well... so I understand what that relationship is like. I would do everything that I could to love, protect, provide and encourage them in life.

Sure I love my friends and family that way. But do I love others that way? Can I say ouch! I must admit that I have not always been quick to be as giving as I should be in that area.

Its easy to love those that are lovable... but to love those that you wish would fall off the earth (yes I am guilty of wishing that)... that's not so easy. So I need to let God love though me.
I have found the best way of doing that is by praying for them.... this means NOT praying about them (as in: "God please make them more lovable")
But in praying for them... "God please call them to you, and give me the strength to go out of my way to show them Your love." And "GASP"... maybe even talk to them.... try asking them if there is something that you can pray for them about. Maybe they will share something, maybe not. But keep asking... keep loving... keep praying... I have seen God use this simple thing (but hard to do) and do amazing things.

I have seen him use it in my life. Yes I still have a few hard nuts to crack in my life.. I think I always will... but God will crack them in His time. As the verse says, it will bring a blessing and its so true. In ways that you can only understand once you have done it. That mostly it becomes less about what God does in their life and all about how He changes you.

Thank you Lord for those that are easy to love in my life. Thank you for those that you give me to love as well. God let me be an example of you to them! Thank for for the many blessings that you have given me in those relationships. AMEN

No comments: