Thursday, October 11, 2007

Ten commandments ~ #1

Exodus 20:3 -“You shall have no other gods before Me.

Deuteronomy 5:7 ~ ‘You shall have no other gods before Me.

So with that what is the first commandment forbidding ?

OK clearly the first commandment is that you shall have no other Gods. But that seems like too simple of an answer.

The "before Me" was kind of intriguing to me...It seems to mean that we are to have no other "gods" in our life because everything we say/do is done before (in front of) Him. Which means anything that gets in the way of our main duty which is to glorify God according to His holy will and commandments then becomes a "god".

Now what is it requiring? That's the answer that I wanted to get into and why I have put this off about 2 weeks.

(OK I could retype this but I am liking the wording and way it is put in the larger catechism)

Q. 104. What are the duties required in the first commandment?

A. The duties required in the first commandment are, the knowing and acknowledging of God tobe the only true God, and our God; and to worship and glorify him accordingly,by thinking, meditating, remembering, highly esteeming, honoring, adoring, choosing, loving, desiring, fearing of him; believing him; trusting, hoping, delighting, rejoicing in him; being zealous for him; calling upon him, giving
all praise and thanks, and yielding all obedience and submission to him with the
whole man; being careful in all things to please him, and sorrowful when in
anything he is offended; and walking humbly with him.

Now I think that most people that have not experienced the grace of God would consider that list to be overwhelming and more than they are capable of. But its a wonderfully extensive list! I love knowing that with Gods help, strength, and grace, that I can do those things but receive the blessings that come with modeling my life that way.

(Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.)

Thank you God that you are so wonderfully graceful to me and that there is so much joy in obeying you!

No comments: